Saturday, January 1, 2011

Poof! My 2010 Reading List

Poof! It's the sound a book makes when you finally reach the end. Sometimes, it's with relief, like when I find myself slogging to the end of a tortuously boring book. But, sometimes, it's with sadness, like the first time I finished the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. After three books, my heart was completely entwined with Sam and Frodo--mostly Sam. Turning the final page was like saying goodbye to a beloved friend.

The year 2010 proved to be a good year in books for me. Looking over the list, I can see that "theology" was the thrust of my reading. There's a smattering of fiction here, mostly classic but some twaddle, and a couple "politics." I'm already amassing books for the coming year. Last night, I sat in Brett's study and wondered what I'll read next when my pile begins to dwindle. Then some titles on his shelves caught my eye. So I think I'm set for 2011, at least for now.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Jillian Dare by Melanie Jeschke
Moses: America's Prophet by Bruce Feiler
Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
Crazy Love by Francis Chan
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
Boy Meets Girl by Joshua Harris
The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
What He Must Be (if He Wants to Marry My Daughter) by Voddie Baucham, Jr.
Maid of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen
Men of Iron by Howard Pyle
Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
What Did You Expect? Redeeming the Realities of Marriage by Paul David Tripp
End the Fed by Ron Paul
Finally Alive by John Piper
What is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert
The Gospel for Muslims by Thabiti Anyabwile
The Law of Kindness by Mary Beeke
Dug Down Deep by Joshua Harris
Unquenchable Flame by Michael Reeves
Fear Not! by Ligon Duncan
Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners by John Bunyan
The Trellis and the Vine by Colin Marshall and Tony Payne
Katherine Parr: A Guided Tour of the Life and Thought of a Reformation Queen by Brandon Withrow
The Consequences of Ideas by RC Sproul
The Church and the Surprising Offense of God's Love by Jonathan Leeman
The Plight of Man and the Power of God by Martin Lloyd-Jones
He is Not Silent by Albert Mohler
Letters to a Diminished Church by Dorothy Sayers
The Holiness of God by RC Sproul
What is Reformed Theology? by RC Sproul
The Good of Affluence: Seeking God in a Culture of Wealth by John R. Schneider

No comments:

Post a Comment