Thursday, February 21, 2013

Unshakable


Sometimes, God comes through at just the right time, reminding us of some aspect of Himself just when we need it. But today is different. Today, I'm finding that God was reminding me of an aspect of Himself before I needed it. Yet I, having the frail frame that I do, so quickly forget Who He is at times when I need to remember most of all. He's been bringing up, again and again to me this week, that He is a fortress, that His kingdom is unshakable. The thought returns, or a song goes through my head, or I read a scripture. He's been relentlessly pursuing me on this topic.

God-as-Fortress and Kingdom-as-Unshakable are wonderful, comforting things to meditate on.
But they don't mean a blessed thing if I'm not relying on those Truths when I need them.

Politics.
It does me in. It just does.
It's infuriating. When I stand back and see the problem so clearly, and then watch men who campaign like they have steely spines only to  comport themselves like they have slinky spines...oh, it just gets my goat.
(I'm not bothered by Nancy Pelosi. I expect Nancy Pelosi to behave like Nancy Pelosi. But I don't expect John Boehner to behave like Nancy Pelosi. I expect people who come from the side of the aisle that champions limited government, natural law, and a free market to champion limited government, natural law and a free market. I expect people who prioritize principle over power to prioritize principle over power. I expect people who value tax cuts and budget cuts to embrace tax cuts and budget cuts--not blame the other side for them, like they're anathema. Gridlock borne of integrity is a good thing. But I can't think of anything admirable regarding compromise. This is, of course, a point at which my more politically astute friends sniff at me, "You just don't understand how politics works." Pish posh. I understand how integrity works.)

But this is how I digress. I get worked up by Capitol Hill tyrants, and I start coming unglued from my Anchor.
I forget that God, not Congress, is a my Fortress.
I forget that God's kingdom, not the United States, is unshakable.
I forget that all things, even tyranny and tyrants, work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose.
And I dropkick Ephesians 4:29 into the next universe.

There has got to be a way to call down wickedness and foolishness and be angry about it. The prophets did it all the time.
More importantly, there has got to be a way to stay anchored to the Author and Finisher of my faith. But I wonder...do other people lose their grip? or is it just me? Do other people feel like their faith shifts like sand?

I'm reading N.D. Wilson's The Chestnut King to the kids. And God, being a relentless God, finds me even there today..
Henry...should have killed Coradin. Caleb would have. His dad would have. Anastasia would have. But Henry had run away...
I feel like Henry. Sure, it's great to think of someone you admire doing the right thing (like Caleb or his dad), but it's a bit more humbling to realize that people who are less mature than you (like Anastasia) would do the right thing with more ease than you would.

Slump.

Where do I go from here? I need to go back to the Word. I need it to anchor me when the waves of bad government spatter over me and take my breath away. I need learn to speak for what is right...while simultaneously keeping my faith in the right thing: the unshakable kingdom of God.

If God's kingdom is unshakable, and I am a citizen of that kingdom, then I need to be unshakable, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment